Penguins are one of the most recognizable birds in the world, but how much do you really know about them? Can they fly? Where do they live? What do they eat? Here are 5 Fun Facts about Penguins that are sure to make you a penguin pundit!
1. They can swim at speeds over 10 miles per hour.
- They’re wings have even evolved to help the ‘fly’ underwater!
2. Penguins don’t have teeth.
- Instead, their mouths are filled with fleshy spines to help them eat.
3. Once a year, penguins shed all their feathers for two-three weeks and can’t swim until they grow back.
4. Most species of penguins mate for life.
- Penguin couples have distinct calls that allow them to locate one another.
5. No penguins live in the North Pole
- Only Santa and his elves!